There are different ways to sharpen a knife. People have been using stones to sharpen knives for hundreds of years. And those ways have not changed enough. We are still using stones to sharpen knives. And sharpening with stones is as cool as it sounds. But there is a slight problem with that because these ways are not very efficient and consume a lot of time.
So you can’t do the sharpening on a bigger scale. Therefore, we look for alternative methods for something that sharpens as gently and as good as the traditional things but consumes less time and takes less effort. One of the perfect solutions is the best sanding belts for knife sharpening.
Quick List of The Top 5 Best Sanding Belts for Knife Sharpening of 2022
- M jump 12 Pcs 4 x 36-inch Aluminum Sanding Belt
- M-jump 12 Pcs 4 x 24 Inch Sanding Belt
- POWERTEC 110530 6 x 48″ Sanding Belts
- Tonmp 3 inch x 21 inch Sanding Belts
- Sungold Abrasives Aluminum Sanding Belts
1. M jump 12 Pcs 4 x 36-inch Aluminum Oxide Sanding Belt
In our list of sanding belts, this item is our top recommendation that will perform its best work.
- Design: For many wood belt sanding applications, this M jump 12 Pcs 4 x 34-inch aluminum standing belt is durable and has a very extended life.
- Manufacturing: M jump manufactures The belt. The belt uses a pen coat A/O grain and strong X-weight poly-cotton cloth backing in its composition.
- Package Includes: With 12 pcs they include two each 60 / 80 / 120 / 150 / 240 / 400 Grits.
- Multiple purposes: M jump 12 pcs 4 x 36-inch aluminum oxide belt is mainly for aluminum, wood, stone, etc., plastic, glass, and non-ferrous metal.
- Washable: Best for users because it can be easily washed and additive to the resin to resist loading.
2. M jump 12 Pcs 4 x 24-inch Aluminum Oxide Sanding Belt
M jump 12 pcs 4 M-jump also manufactured x 24-inch aluminum oxide sanding belt. In 60, 80, and 120 grits are for stock removal; higher grits will give you some decent finishing.
- Composition: M jump aluminum oxide sanding belt has open A/O grain and strong X weight backing off poly-cotton cloth in its composition.
- Gritty: The belts offer different grit 60 / 80 / 120 / 150 / 240 / 400 grits 2 of each belt.
- Multi-purpose: M jump 12 pcs is primarily used in woodworking, automotive, flooring, and metalworking.
- Washable: The M jump 12 pcs 4 x 24-inch aluminum oxide sanding belts are anti-static, plus washable.
3. POWERTEC 110530 6 x 48 sanding Belts
POWERTEC 110530 6 x 48 sanding belts are a cost-effective set of high-performance and long-lasting sanding belts.
- Manufacturing: It is the best belt sander for belt knife sharpener made from impressive resin on resin bonds, open coat aluminum oxide grain, and superior X-weight clothed backing.
- Design: These belts use moisture and heat-resistant materials, and the design is extremely great and won’t break under pressure.
Gritty: Belts come in multiple ranges of uniformed grit such as 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 / 120 / 150 / 180 / 240 / 400 grit.
- Multipurpose use: These POWERTEC 110530 6 X 48 sanding belts give us a heavy-duty work stripping and sanding tool for wood, rubber, plastic, non-ferrous metals, and aluminum.It doesn’t matter if you are professional or not.
- Durable: These heavy-duty belts will perform fantastic work sharp knife. The POWERTEC 110530 6 x 48 leather belt are famous for their long-lasting performance.
4. Tonmp 30 PCS 3 inch x 21-inch sanding belts
Tonmp sanding belts will be an excellent selection of paper for your disc sander. The belt is a one-direction product, and the large size arrows will guide you, which way to mount. You can use these honing belt even on very tough jobs.
- Design: For many wood belt sanding applications, these high-quality Tonmp sanding belts provide extraordinary life and excellent durability.
- Materiel: Tonmp sanding belts are made of solid X-weight poly-cotton cloth backing and unique open coat A/O grain.
- Use: You can use these belts ideally for stone etc., plastic, glass, wood, aluminum, and non-ferrous metal.
- Washable: The belts are anti-static; you can wash the belt and moisture and are heat resistant.
5. Sungold Abrasives 87962 Aluminum Sanding belts
The Abrasives industry has over 40 years of experience in creating high-quality, long-lasting belts. These Sungold abrasives 87962 Aluminum sanding belts are one of the best 1 x 30 sanding belts for sharp knife and many other purposes.
- Design: The Sungold abrasives 87962 has P graded aluminum oxide that works long-term and has excellent finishing. The belt can also run in both directions. However, it will extend the belt’s life.
- Fitness: It will mostly fit in small expendable drum-type machines such as KT scorpion and Clarke EZ8.
- Sturdy and durable: In 36-inch grit, they provide a thin joint technology that allows for the most robust joint and won’t break and bump easily.
What Is The Difference Between a Belt Sander and a Belt Grinder?
If you are here to know about the difference between a belt sander and a belt grinder, then you are in the right position. In this section, we will differentiate between a belt sander and a belt grinder.
- Belts sander: A belt sander is equipment that you can use for sharpening and finishing different materials. This machine comes along with an engine, a belt, and two pulleys. You can use this belt for the sanding of non-metals. For the sanding, you will find various types of grits. Like there are 40, 80, or 100 grits. The choice of grit depends on the material that you are going to sand. Belt sanders are also the perfect equipment for removing scuffs from different materials. However, the best material for this is wood.
- Belt grinder: Unlike a belt sander, a belt grinder is used to grind metals. Belt grinders have wide use at the industrial level. There are different names for a belt grinder, for instance, a bench grinder. The belt grinders come with two stones; one is at the engine, and one is at the side of the belt. Belt grinders are the perfect equipment for making metals smooth and grinding.
How To Choose The Sanding Belts for You
The sandpaper belts come in a variety of shapes and sizes. And also, there are specific kinds of products used for particular tasks. So how do you know which one will work particularly well for you? Therefore, to solve that specific confusion, follow the buying guides given below to get the best sanding belt for sharpening.
- Grit: Sandpapers come in a variety of grit options. The higher the grit number, the finer the sandpaper will be. You can categorize sandpapers into the following categories according to their grit numbers.
- Coarse: This is the one that has fewer grits among the rest. It can contain a maximum of 60 grits.
- Medium: This is the one that is finer than the coarse one and can contain up to 120 grits.
- Fine: Fine sandpaper can contain up to 180 grits. It has a durable material and a smooth finish.
- Extra fine: Extra fine sandpapers are the ones that are the second finest of all, and the grit number can range from 280 to 320.
- Superfine: The superfine sandpapers can have a grit number more incredible than the 360 and go up to 2000. And to choose the best for yourself, you need to consider the type of knife you are dealing with. So if you are dealing with dull knives, go for a medium one because it will help reshape the blade. But if your knives are not very dull, go for the super finest one because that will sharpen the knife best.
- Back clothing; After the grit, the next thing to consider is the back clothing of the sandpaper. Because if you want to buy the best belts for knife sharpening, they should have durable clothing behind the grits. Therefore, the back clothing is something that you should look for.
- Usable for metal; This one is essential. It does not matter how fine the sandpaper is. If it’s not usable for metal, then it will not help your cause. So always make sure that the sandpaper belt is compatible with metal.
- Anti-static; Sandpapers have a habit of collecting dust and debris from the material they are getting used to. Often, your sandpapers belt will get clogged with dust and debris when you are working on something. Therefore, we recommend buying sandpaper, which comes with anti-static technology.
The anti-static sandpaper belts send the electric charges to the ground to pull the dust and debris to remain clean. It increases the life of sandpaper and decreases the time and effort you put in to clean it again and again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does my belt gets clogged, and what can I do to avoid it?
Sandpapers use the force of friction to work. Since it brushes the material, it keeps the little pieces of materials with it. Hence your sandpaper gets clogged. You can avoid this by getting sandpaper that comes with Anti-static technology.
Can I use sanding belts for things other than knives?
Absolutely yes, you can use these sanding belts for materials like wood and glass. These sandpaper belts are multipurpose; you can use them for plenty of other things than just knives.
Is it safe to sharpen a knife with a sandpaper belt?
The answer to this question depends upon you. If you know how to use a sandpaper belt, yes, but if you don’t know how to use it, you have a problem. But there is nothing to worry about because with a few tutorials, you can learn that too. So it’s safe to say that anyone can use them, but a little knowledge is essential.
Can you use a belt sander to sharpen knives?
A belt sander is an essential tool sharpener. I also use them for the sharpening of metals. But that does not mean that you can’t use them for the sharpening of knives. A belt sander is the most efficient and quick way to sharpen a knife with no difficulty.
The sanding belts provide excellent sharpening but take no effort and consume a fraction of the time. You can sharpen your knife making these belts with great precision. However, to do a job perfectly, you will need to choose the best product for you.
To narrow down your choice, we will recommend you pick your favorite product from our list of the 5 best sanding belts for sharpening knives. We ensure the high quality of our recommended products. In the end, we hope you will like our article today and will give your opinion about the sanding belts we mentioned here.