Making a knife is a very delicate process. Be very precise with so many things during the process. From making the knife balanced to providing it with the shape you want. It requires a lot of skills and hard work. However, to achieve the precision and perfection that you desire in the product, you need to have one last thing: the right equipment. One of the best pieces of equipment is the best 2×72 belt grinder for knife making.
The reason is If you are working with the right equipment, it will not just help you make the perfect product, but it will also save your time. I have compiled a list of the 5 best belt grinders for knife making to help you here.
Here Is The List of The Top 5 Best 2×72 Belt Grinder for Knife Making
- 2″ X 72″ Knife Makers Coarse Grit Sanding Belts – Best overall grit sanding belt
- Sanding Belts with Eraser Cleaner – Best sanding belt with cleaner
- 10 Pcs 2 x 72 Inch Aluminum Oxide Sanding Belt – Best good value belt grinder for knife making
- Benchmark Abrasives 2 X 72 Inch Premium Ceramic Sanding Belts – Best durable belt grinder for knife making
- Benchmark Abrasives Oxide Multipurpose Sanding Belts – Best brand belt grinder for knife making
1. 2 x 72 knife makers coarse Grit Sanding Belts
For making knives, the coarse Grit sanding belts offer the best 2 x 72 belt grinder for knife making. It comes in different grits and is used for removing different material. So let’s explore the coarse Grit Sanding belts.
- Design: The 2 x 72 knife maker belts come in reddish-orange color, design from ceramic belt. The item grain structure provides a great renewal of many uniform and consistent cutting edges. Ceramic grain design allows us the faster removal of more outstanding stock.
- Gritty: Coarse grit sanding belts come with six-pack assortments, and each belt includes P36, P40, P60, P80, and P120 zirconia grits, aluminum oxide P150 grit.
- Quality: I make The longer belt of high-quality materials; however, you can use it for heavy-duty work.
- Multi-Purpose: They use the coarse Grit sanding belts for many purposes, such as shaping your knife, sharpening the knife, and excellent general metalwork.
Someone specially designed for this kind of belt for knife makers, heavy-duty y-weight, and closed cloth. Their quality impresses most of the people who use the belts.
2. Sanding Belts with Eraser Cleaner,20 Pieces 2 x 72 inch
Sanding belts with erasers are one of the best 2 x 72 belt grinders made for knife making. Nowadays, it’s very common and famous in markets with a good reputation.
- Material: it has high-quality material used to manufacture sanding belts such as premium alumina particles and resin blenders. These high-quality materials make the belt durable and run for the long term.
- Versatile: These are incredibly versatile aluminum oxide sanding belts at highly affordable prices.
- Gritty: In this package they provide 20 pieces of belts with grit of 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 / 120 / 150 / 180 / 240 / 320 and 400.
- Multi-Purpose: You can use sanding belts with erasing for multi-purposes such as woodworking, plastic, aluminum, fiberglass, and non-ferrous metal. You can use the belts in a belt sander, back stand belt disc grinder, knife disc sander.
- Washable: The belt is anti-static washable and also an additive in the resin to resist loading.
3.15 Pcs 2 x 72-inch Assorted Aluminum Oxide Sanding Belt
100% CHOICE manufactures the belt. For many years, the brand has established and manufactured high-quality best 2 x 72 belt grinders for knife making.
Top Product Features;
- Material: The belt is made of high-quality aluminum oxide grain.
- Grits: In packaging includes ten pieces and each of the Grits contains two belts such as 80 / 120 / 150 / 240 and 400 grits.
- Purposes: They mostly used aluminum oxide sanding belts in woodworking, fiberglass work, plastic, stone, etc. These belts you can also use for grinding, finishing, and polishing.
- Washable: They provide open coat technology, washable, and also additive to resin to resist loading.
4. Benchmark Abrasives 2 x 72-inch Ceramic Sanding belts
It is the best deal 2×72 belt grinder for knife making that won’t break at any pressure and runs for a long time. Benchmark Abrasives brand supplies excellent quality products at competitive prices.
Top Product Features:
- Design: The Benchmark abrasive belt are made from a ceramic material that is incredible and sturdy polyester cloth. The ceramic materials provide long life to belts and also have high stock removal rates.
- Quality: This package contains six pieces of belts made in the USA from premium European materials. These slack belts provide users high-quality polishing and grinding performance.
Top Product Benefits:
- Purposes: they can use Benchmark abrasives in many bench grinder and grinders such as bench stand grinder, variable speed belt sander, portable belt sanders, etc. Also, the belts are used for blending, finishing, polishing, and grinding.
If you are not satisfied or have any issue with the product, the best part of the product can quickly contact the buyer to fix it.
5. Benchmark Abrasives 2 x 72-inch Aluminum Multipurpose Belts
The last review of our best deal 2×72 belt grinder for knife making list is also manufactured by Benchmark Abrasives brand from high-quality, durable materials.
- Material:They manufacture Benchmark Abrasives from aluminum oxide and durable polycotton blend backing.
- Quality: The belt is aluminum oxide made, which is tough and durable abrasive grain provides the belt long life. And it also made this package in the USA, which contains six pieces of premium X-weight aluminum oxide sanding belts.
- Multi-Purposes: These 2 inches wide and 72 inches long are among the most popular belt size in knife-making materials. I also used the belt for other purposes, such as Al-composites, wood, plastic, stainless steel, and different metals with knife making. Also usable for wet and dry applications.
How to Choice Best 2×72 Belt Grinder for Knife Making
To find the best 2×72 belt grinder for knife making, follow the guides given below.
Grits are the most critical thing that determines the finish sandpaper belt provides. They can be divided into more than three categories depending upon the number of grits.
One thing to remember here is the more grits a sanding belt has, the more miniature course it will be. Their different categories are given below.
Coarse sandpaper belts are the ones that have the least number of grits on them. This number can be around 60 grits, but it does not exceed that. When used, they usually scratch the surface of the material.
The medium sandpaper belts are more delicate than the coarse ones. They usually come with almost 80 to 120 grits. The finish they provide is a bit smoother than the coarse ones. They are used for general purposes.
Fine and extra-fine:
Fine and extra-fine sandpapers belts are generally used for roughing up the surfaces. They usually have grit number that range between 180 and 320.
If you want to provide your materials with a shiny and glassy look, you can use the super fine sanding belts. Anything higher than 320 grits is considered to be superfine.
Now when how many types of sanding belts are, you can make a better choice for yourself. The best one for grinding the knives is a coarse one.
Since it has very little grits, it will provide the highest amount of friction. But it would be best if you kept a variety in your hand to use at the different stages in the knife-making.
Back of the belt
People always say that there are two sides to a story, and that’s true, but what is also true is that there are two sides to a sanding belt.
One side determines the performance of the belt, and the other side determines its durability. So it’s essential to check the durability of the belt’s backcloth to ensure longevity and performance.
There are so many ways to grind a knife, and if your process involves wet sanding, then you should buy a sanding belt that is waterproof. Waterproof sanding belts are not very rare and are built specifically to withstand the process.
There is nothing worse than a clogged sanding belt during work. It also reduces the life of the belt that adds to the cost of production.
Since they wear off quickly, they need to be changed after a while, killing a lot of productive time. Therefore, always make sure that you buy a sanding belt that uses anti-static technology to keep the belt clean.
Joint of the belt
The last thing you may check while buying the best 2×72 belt grinder made for knife making is the JointJoint, where two ends of the belt meet each other.
If the JointJoint is not uneven, it will make that thumping sound every time the joint passes under the knife. That’s why you should always make sure that the belt is nice and even throughout.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between a normal and anti-static sanding belt?
If you look at an anti-static and a traditional knife grinder belt to make the best budget affordable kitchen knife, you will not notice any difference between them at all.
And there is no difference in appearance at all. It provides the same kind of grinding if the belts have the same grits. But traditional belts get clogged, but anti-static ones don’t.
The reason behind the cogging of traditional belts is that they get electrostatically charged. And these belts are which they are unable to send to the ground, and as a result, they pull the dust towards them and get clogged.
On the other hand, the anti-static ones can conduct the charges and pass them to the ground. But to take advantage of an anti-static belt, your motor should have a ground connection.
Which one is better: a fine sanding belt or a coarse sanding belt for grinding knives?
As stated earlier in the buyer’s guide, a fine sanding belt is best for scratching the surface. But a coarse sanding belt is the one you should use for grinding a knife because it will provide you the maximum amount of friction, and it will crush the knife faster than the more delicate sanding belt.
Will the grinder spark if I use the belt with metal?
Absolutely yes, when you are working with metals, you can expect some sparks. Because most of the sandpaper belts use aluminum oxide, which, when rubber feet onto the metal, creates a few sparks, so always be careful when working with knives because sparks start a fire.
What kinds of materials can be used with these belts?
You can use these sanding belts for materials like aluminum, wood, non-ferrous metals, fiberglass, and plastics, including resins. So don’t worry when you have to use it for something other than just metal.
Remember, the most important thing you will use during the knife-making process is the sanding belt you use for grinding a knife.
These sanding belts come in a variety, as you see in our product section. So you have to choose the best for your interest.
The best size of the belts is the best 2×72 belt grinder for knife making, So I will encourage you to pick from our best recommendations for a better experience of sharpening your daily knives.